So, it’s Pride Month!
There will be Pride marches, parades and celebrations throughout June all over the country. While these events are great fun, there is a more serious message that must be taken on board by us as individuals and just as important, as employers!
LGBTQ – Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning
Pride Month – To commemorate the stonewall riots in June 1969 in Greenwich Village, New York, this is now a month of celebrating everything LGBTQ.
A recent survey by YouGov has said that more than a third of LGBTQ staff hide that they are LGBTQ in the workplace for fear of discrimination.
First on our agenda as business owners and HR Experts is to ensure that we develop an open workplace where employees can freely talk about not only their sexuality, but also their religion and anything else that makes them unique.
To do this as an employer we encourage and foster a culture that excludes no-one and includes everyone. There are a few key things that will help your workplace towards this openness. Lead by example, introduce some basic training or guidance sessions with all staff members and encourage your workforce to be open with their colleagues.
Here are our top tips for a truly inclusive business.
- Create a vision for your business and communicate the vision with everyone through diversity training.
- Be serious about discrimination. Make sure you have a robust anti-discrimination policy and ensure all employees know what behavior is not tolerated. If there are any cases of homophobic bullying, get advice and take action.
- Promote staff champions who can support LGBTQ colleagues.
- Support the local LGBTQ community and provide information to employees about local events.
- Offer equal benefits to all employees, regardless of their sexual orientation, including parental leave, adoption leave, and time off to take care of dependents.
- Celebrate your successes!
The Simple Take is: Don’t be a d*ck whether you have got one or not!